Recipes: Smashed Pea Crostini
02 December 2022
Looking for ways to brighten up your plate? Try this delicious and nutritious recipe for Smashed Broad Beans & Peas on Crostini. If you aren't familiar with Broad Beans – also called Fava Beans – know that they're packed with iron, magnesium, folate, copper, zinc and vitamins B and C which are all vitamins and minerals that crucial for bone health, brain function, and general immunity. And the humble Pea? Well they're loaded with vitamins C and E, zinc, and other antioxidants.
1 cup shelled broad beans (fresh if possible)
3/4 cup shelled green peas (fresh if possible)
Handful of fresh mint leaves (roughly chopped)
20g quality butter (melted)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt flakes
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 fresh ciabatta loaf (sliced) or prepared Crostini
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add broad beans for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add peas to the pot of water and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain well.
- Peel broad beans, discarding the skins, and adding inner broad beans to the pot of peas as you go.
- Once done, add the mint, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper. Give a good stir with a fork, smashing the mixture a bit. Add extra salt if needed.
- To serve, toast slices of Ciabatta or use prepared Crostini. Top with the warm pea and broad bean mix, Parmesan cheese and extra mint leaves to garnish.
Topped with a generous helping of Parmesan, Sea Salt, and Mint Leaves – this flavour combination tastes like Summer!